Greetings from Never-Never-Land. ‘Tis a strange world, personally and nationally. It’s the place where the love of my life recently died and was memorialized. It is the place where, immediately following all of that, my lovely brother for whom I am guardian was admitted to the hospital with a serious illness. It’s the place where he remains hospitalized. It’s the place where barbara occasionally comes up for air. And each time she does, she discovers that even the air beyond NNLand has been fouled. Crikey!
It's been very strange to watch from the sidelines as this whole general election has unfolded. I’m usually more involved. But this year, all y’all have been the ones out there, writing profusely and profoundly, knocking on doors, making phone calls, beating the bushes (yes!!!) for voters and otherwise kicking butt. I can see that you’ve got Obama’s back and that has made a humongous impact on this surreal election cycle. (((applauds your efforts)))
- Hillary Clinton cedes the Democratic nomination to Barack Obama.
- Obama chooses Joe Biden to be his running mate. (Joe Biden, the senior Senator with a boatload of national experience and chutzpah, a stellar reputation and a skill set that complements Obama’s. That Joe Biden.)
- Obama draws an immense crowd when he accepts the nomination in Denver.
- John McCain (former maverick, former POW, former straight-talker, former man of integrity) chooses Alaska’s Sarah Palin to be his running mate. (Sarah Palin, winky rookie, folksy, cute as a doggone button, deep as a thin-crust pizza. That Sarah Palin.)
- America and the global community suck in collective breath and cry out, “WTF is McCain THINKING?”
- Obama continues to draw immense crowds, every day, everywhere he goes.
- Republicans call Obama a rock star. Turns out he’s actually a magnet for integrity-starved Americans.
- Poo-flinging commences, trending mostly right to left.
- Obama takes high ground, in spite of pleas from some of us to take to the trenches and smack down the gray bastard.
- Americans awake each morning, wondering which newly-minted McCain will greet us.
- Tina Fey for president in 2012!
- Thrust and parry, bob and weave.
- Republicans commence to eat their own.
- Liberal media unveiled as myth. Who knew?
- Republican endorsements of Obama accumulate like falling leaves.
- Iffy polling suggests Obama pulling away.
- Democrats experience PTSD from 2000 and 2004. Diebold Syndrome resurfaces.
- Comedy of Ayers continues apace.
- Obama accused of being an Arab, a radical Muslim, a calm and learned man.
- It is revealed that Barack Obama is a black man.
- Finally, finally, finally, it’s November 2008.
- First and goal.
- Americans go to polls to put all of us out of our campaigning misery.
- Americans go to polls to elect Barack Obama president of the United States of America.
(Personal note: David and I voted absentee this year. He wanted his vote for Obama to count. It will.)
Hang in there until Wednesday, folks. We’re almost there.