I have tried to ignore the brouhaha around the ABC docuspin, "Path to 911." Can't do that any longer.
For background, read Tim Rutten's piece in the LA Times.
This is a call to storm the Bastille, aka ABC and Disney. But we need to act right now. Every one of us.
The first installment of the ABC/Disney history-rewriting flick is due to air tomorrow night (Sunday), concluding on Monday, 9/11. (sigh)
Here are specifics about what people can do (with a big assist from activists in Minnesota's second congressional district):
1. It is time to boycott ABC. Turn off your television and remove ABC from your TIVO.
2. Let CBS (http://www.cbsnews.com/ scroll to bottom and click on "Contact Us") and NBC (haven't found a good link yet) know there is a strong grassroots movement in opposition to broadcast of this revisionist and deceptive film.
3. We should very publicly call for boycotts of ABC's primary sponsors (national and local). Nothing short of a broad-based response that affects their bottom line will get their attention.
4. One couple wrote to the head of Disney to say that they: (1) will not buy any further Disney or Disney-licensed products for their grandchildren; (2) they will not rent or buy a ticket for a Disney-produced or co-produced movie; (3) they will not take their grandchildren to a Disney facility; (4) they will review their mutual funds, and they will sell any that include Disney stock; (5) they will write letters to the editor and blogs about this situation (the airing of an intentionally misleading presentation about 9/11); and (6) they will ask family members and friends to boycott Disney.
5. Contact ABC to protest the movie: Audience Relations Department at email@example.com.
6. Contact local ABC affiliates. In the Twin Cities, that's good old KSTP (Stanley Hubbard and friends). 651-646-5555 firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Contact PBS, NPR and MPR.
8. Contact newspaper columnists who are likely to go with a grassroots story.
9. NEW: Sign the Democratic Party's online petition.
If you have additional ideas and good/better/best links, post them as comments and I'll combine them in another post.
Here is the piece de resistance. George W. Bush is asking ABC for air time during the presentation of "Path to 911" to address the nation. That is an absolutely appalling and blatant misuse and politicization of an American tragedy that is being exploited by Republicans. They are sitting back, sucking on their big cigars, celebrating their coup. Think Cheney, Rove, Limbaugh, and the Big B.
It is time for the peasants to take back this country, paving the way for our incoming congressional reps.
Cut and paste this post and send it to everyone you can think of '" even people you do not know. Political people. Bloggers. Family and friends. Neighbors. Work colleagues (where possible). Newspapers. CBS and NBC. Radio stations. Other ideas? Post those, too.
Vive les tats-Unis!!